As we outlined in last month’s issue of Insights and Updates for Providers, brand name Flovent HFA (fluticasone propionate) and Flovent Diskus will be discontinued at the end of 2023.
Given this change in product availability, MassHealth will be making coverage updates in the inhaled corticosteroid inhaler class as part of the December rollout (effective Dec. 4, 2023):
- Brand Flovent HFA and Flovent Diskus will continue to be covered without prior authorization. Members can fill brand Flovent HFA and brand Flovent Diskus until the supply runs out.
- Members already stable on brand Flovent inhalers may use generic fluticasone inhalers until March 4, 2024, at which point all utilizers of generic fluticasone inhalers will require prior authorization.
- Generic Flovent HFA and generic Flovent Diskus will not be preferred and will require prior authorization.
- Approval criteria for generic Flovent will require documentation of an asthma diagnosis and trial and failure with at least two inhaled corticosteroids available without prior authorization.
- Arnuity Ellipta (fluticasone furoate inhalation powder) will no longer require prior authorization. Asmanex HFA (mometasone inhalation aerosol), Asamanex Twisthaler (mometasone inhalation powder) and Pulmicort Flexhaler (budesonide inhalation powder) will continue to be covered without prior authorization.
Director, Provider Relations & Communications
Senior Manager, Provider Communications
Joseph O’Riordan, Susan Panos, Stephen Wong,